Wednesday, March 16, 2011

This is my new bible - Flavour Thesaurus review



Oh. My. God. This book is AMAZING. Half cookbook, half beautiful food writing. How could you not love something with this in? 

"Black pudding & shellfish: A modern classic. In fancy restaurants, pale scallop is often found perched, trembling like an ingénue, on filthy old black pudding's knee."

So evocative! I've spent my day lazing about, reading this, knowing that I probably won't ever eat even half of these combinations [to be fair, 4,851 is quite a lot].

"Eating chicken wings, I feel like a hamster nibbling on a pencil. Or like one of those crab-eating sea otters that die of starvation because the calories expended getting at the meat outnumber the calories gained when they do."

Sea otters! SEA. OTTERS. I'm sorry, I can't quite get over it. It's like someone took the thoughts straight out of my brain and made them better. I'm not bitter, oh noooo sirree, just happy that something like this exists.

"Just a little caper and anchovy can transform bland or oily dishes. We should carry them around in a  little envelope, like a sewing kit, for culinary emergencies."

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go eat cherries and smoked fish. TOGETHER.

No comments:

Post a Comment